Plant Prefab is the first Certified B Corporation™ building technology company dedicated to sustainable design, materials, and operations. The company’s patented Plant Building System™ utilizes advanced digital modeling and customizable Plant Panels™ and Plant Modules™ to help developers, general contractors, and architects design and build housing 20 to 50 percent faster than site-based methods. The system provides better quality control, design flexibility, and time, cost, and material efficiency than conventional methods of offsite or on-site construction.
Plant Prefab’s factory is located in Tejon Ranch, California and is backed by leading investors including Amazon, Asahi Kasei, Gerdau Next Ventures, Obvious Ventures, and others. With a mission to build a better world by design, Plant Prefab was the first housing prefabricator to announce a net zero goal and has achieved carbon-neutral operations since 2020. To learn more, visit plantprefab.com.
Plant Prefab is seeking a Mechanical Installer to play an integral role in growing, maintaining, and optimizing the operations here at Plant Prefab! In this unique and challenging position, the Mechanical Installer will be responsible for completing all mechanical activities within the factory. The Mechanical Installer will have the ability to perform all necessary tasks. This person will be required to integrate well within a cross functional team that includes all trades and subcontractors in the factory to ensure the production operations are set up for success. All work is to be carried out safely while adhering to Plant Prefab’s quality guidelines, policies, and standards, while driving the culture and successful tactical implementation of such. The position will be based in our Tejon Ranch, CA facility and report to the Production Manager.
- Complete mechanical duties such as installing AC units, constructing frame blocking, pulling line sets, etc.
- Always complete all mechanical work in a safe manner that complies with all environmental and OSHA safety regulations.
- Complete all mechanical work in compliance with Plant Prefab standards, Quality Manual, applicable building codes, HCD FBH 314 and other applicable regulations.
- Build Plant Modules and Plant Panels using best practices and latest SOPs.
- Complete all mechanical work according to the latest approved plans, CDS, Structural, MEP, Shop Drawings, and complies with Plant Prefab standards & quality standards.
- Complete all mechanical work efficiently and with minimal waste and spoilage.
- Ensure all mechanical work is in compliance to, and adequacy of, quality assurance procedures including latest SOPs and iterate those procedures as required to drive continuous improvement throughout the organization.
- Identify non-value-added operations in the organization and propose new operational procedures to achieve leaner processes.
- Consider health, safety, sustainability and the environment in all decisions and actions.
- Execute various other activities as assigned to support the success of the organization.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong Communication skills: ability to communicate and report effectively both internally and externally, writing and speaking professionally at all levels while demonstrating the ability to adapt to and connect with all levels of people
- Startup mindset - ability to be resourceful and determined to succeed; striving to reinvent an industry
- 2-5 years of mechanical installation experience, preferably in custom residential, modular and/or multi-family construction
- Significant knowledge in mechanical and construction methods, means, materials, best practices, and schedule management
- Significant knowledge of mechanical concepts such as framing codes and HVAC codes
- Able to effectively complete all activities and tasks to deliver a high caliber of finish quality and craftmanship
- Exceptional schedule, time, and resource management
- Exceptional attention to detail in construction
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities and drive urgent matters with a sense of urgency
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate with others in order to complete tasks
- Ability to operate high speed equipment efficiently while taking into account all required safety guidelines
- Ability to handle hazardous materials while also taking into account all required safety guidelines
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Plant Prefab
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
- Ability to work efficiently in a steady – fast paced environment and properly adjust between the two at a moment’s notice
- Must be able to stand/walk for long periods of time
- Must be flexible enough to kneel, reach, grip, twist, ext. as required
- Impact Drill
- Hole Hawg
- Crimping Pliers
- Tin Snip
- Flaring Tool
- Metal Scissor
Personal Protective Equipment Used:
- Hard Hat
- Hearing Protection
- Respirator/Dust Mask
- Fall Protection
- Warm Clothing
- High Visibility Vest/Coat
- Eye Protection (Safety Glasses)
- Gloves (Work Gloves)
- Steel Toe Work Boots
- Inside Work
- Outside Covered Work
- Excessive Cold
- Excessive Heat
- Excessive Noise
- Excessive Vibration
- High Speed Equipment
- Driving/Operate Equipment
- Heights (up to 11 ft)
- Fumes (Acetylene)
- Competitive compensation (hourly pay, discretionary bonus, and stock options) commensurate with experience and skills
- Excellent medical, vision, and dental insurance
- The opportunity to work with great architects and meaningfully contribute to projects that improve the quality of life for people and the planet