In this session, Frank Calderoni, CEO Anaplan shared how to build a company that sees hypergrowth by upstanding the character of the company. He shared his insights on his journey in leading a large organization while still maintaining the character-led culture.
Frank Calderoni is the Chief Executive Officer of Anaplan and the chairman of the company’s board of directors. Frank is a technology industry veteran with over 30 years of successful executive leadership. Before joining Anaplan, Frank served as the Executive Vice President (EVP), Operations, and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of Red Hat, Inc. from June 2015 to January 2017. He also served as EVP and CFO at Cisco Systems, Inc. for seven years. Prior to that, he served as Cisco’s Senior Vice President (SVP), Customer Solutions Finance, and Vice President, Worldwide Sales Finance. Frank joined Cisco in 2004 from QLogic Corporation, where he was the SVP and CFO. Prior to that, he was the SVP, Finance & Administration, and CFO for SanDisk Corporation. Frank also sits on the board of Adobe Systems, Inc.
Upstanding: How Company Character Catalyzes Loyalty, Agility, and Hypergrowth by Frank A. Calderoni https://amzn.to/3z7igws
0:57 Frank’s journey.
2:11 Thoughts on meaning of success for a leader in a large organization.
4:13 Financial metrics vs employee happiness.
8:42 Culture is built from bottom up or top down?
12:00 Culture and strategy.
14:19 Leadership during uncertain times.
19:33 The story behind the book “Upstanding”.
20:52 The timing of the book “Upstanding”.
24:17 How to gauge the character of an organization?
26:39 Influence of a leader in determining the character and culture of an organization.
28:23 The ideal reader for the book “Upstanding”.
30:06 Rapidfire with Frank.
33:17 Frank’s favorite reads.
34:29 Closing remarks.
Stage 1: Lead-in
1. Starter: Give your starter pitch 1 point that this book points to:
2. Vishal briefly introduce guest
Stage 2: Subject Matter Expertise
3. How do you define success?
4. In your journey, how does culture play role in delivering success?
5. What are the tenets of a good leader?
6. How to embrace a successful culture through difficult times?
7. What pandemic has taught us about leadership and culture?
Stage 3: Introduction as an author
8. Why write Upstanding?
9. Who is an ideal reader for the book?
10. Why has company character now become a primary driver of growth, performance, and competitive advantage?
11. What exactly is a character-led culture, and why do companies need it?
12. Why is character-led culture a strategy, and how are the two interconnected?
13. How did your earlier roles as CFO at Cisco and Red Hat and your previous years at IBM inform the culture you built as CEO of Anaplan?
14. Anaplan has returned 112.58% since going public in October 2018. What can other companies learn from Anaplan about maintaining a resilient culture when experiencing fast hyper-growth?
15. How can you measure company or employee progress on the character?
16. Why is having a disengaged character the same as having no character?
Stage 4: Rapid Fire [Say what comes to your mind]
17 a. #Startups
17 b. #Entrepreneurship
17 c. #Failures
17 d. #Growth
17 e. #Culture
17 f. #Founder
17 g. #Disruption
17 h. #JobsOfFuture
17 i. #FutureofStartup
17 j. #FutureofOrganization
Stage 5: Closing
18. What are 1-3 best practices that you think are the key to success in your journey?
19. Do you have any favorite read?
20. As a closing remark, what would you like to tell our audience?
TAO is building the World’s largest and AI-powered Skills Universe and Community powering career development platform empowering some of the World’s largest communities/organizations. Learn more at https://TAO.ai
Work Pod takes you on the journey with leaders, experts, academics, authors, and change-makers designing the future of work, workers, and the workplace.
WorkPod is managed by Work2.org, a #FutureOfWork community for HR and Organization architects and leaders.
Sponsorship / Guest Request should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
#FutureofWork #Work2.0 #Work2dot0 #Leadership #Growth #Org2dot0 #Work2 #Org2